Brigadeer-General E.L. Hayes Collection
c. 1862 – 1865
Gift of William & Charlotte Terry, 2010
This collection of Civil War and personal memorabilia once owned by Wauseon native, Edwin Lewis Hayes, fourth cousin to President Rutherford B. Hayes, is being donated by his great-great-great grandson to the Fulton County Historical Society in a ceremony at 6:30pm on the South Stage of the Wauseon Homecoming on Friday, August 6. Hayes’ daughter, Hortensia, is attributed with naming the town after the native chief, Wa-se-on.
Among the collection is a presentation sword, commissioned by the town of Wauseon in the summer of 1862 from Tiffany & Company in New York City. The sword was presented by Mayor Jewell to then, Major E.L. Hayes, who was leaving his post as city councilman and his downtown business to recruit Fulton County men to form the 100th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The 100th fought throughout the south, and were even held as prisoners of war at one point during the war.
The collection will be part of the Fulton County Museum’s special exhibit, “Hell & Homefront: Civil War Through Fulton County Eyes”, opening in the spring of 2011 as part of the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the United States Civil War. This five year project will contain exhibits, educational programs, and a publication on the history of Fulton County from the underground railroad movement in the 1830s through the reconstruction era. The project will not be a glorification of war, or particular battles, but show visitors the viewpoints of Fulton County citizens, both on the battle field, and those left behind at home. The museum’s extensive collection of Civil War era artifacts will be the centerpiece of this commemoration.